ACR Forum banner

Masada (Magpul) parts

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  msmone123 
#1 ·
Guys! New member from Las Vegas,
Anywho, avid gun guy, and recently I acquired a lot of Magpul Masada uppers, small parts, triggers, springs. Ect. These all must have been part of a Test program. Any interest ? I’m talking 15 uppers marked Magpul Masada, and super low serial numbers, all used, and in military used surplus condition, except the small parts, like new. Scratching my head over this. I’m and AR and a Scar 17 owner. Just a random inquiry! I welcome any feedback on this subject matter
Thanks
Zack

#7 ·
My understanding has been that Magpul only actually built three prototypes before handing production over to Bushmaster. BM changed three features on the Masada when they made it the ACR:

1) They went to a two position gas valve instead of a three position (Masada had an "off" setting).
2) They ditched the integrated folding BUIS in favor of a continuous rail, to either be used without irons, or irons of the owner's choice.
3) They moved the charging handle forward.

Only one of the three prototypes was actually functional, so the remainder of the changes that were made when it went into production were either to make it a reliably functioning rifle, or to make it able to be produced on a large scale. For example, Magpul stated that the receiver would be 7000 series aluminum, but they were actually produced from 6000 series because it was too difficult to reliably extrude 7000 series.

I think a lot of the hate towards the ACR directed at BM was due to their inability to deliver on promises made by Magpul, some of which weren't realistic to begin with. It was more expensive than it should have been when it was released at $2800; the $1500 price point that Magpul promised and that it eventually ended up at wouldn't have turned as many people off of it initially, but TBF that's not too far off of the SCAR 16 price point and that seems to sell fine. The difference being military adoption most likely. The 6.5lb promised weight was a stretch, especially for a full 16" carbine-a lot of AR's aren't even that light and they have a much lighter gas system. IIRC Bigdog has got an SBR down to the ~6lb range, but the expectation Magpul left people with the feature set and 6.5lb weight was unrealistic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.