Design Thread
Join Today

Thread: Design Thread

Design Thread

Piggy backing off my hand guard thread I wanted to talk about other design ideas. I have the CAD bug so I'm just thinking out loud and want some feedback. I know someone here has chopped off the front end of a receiver and made a PDW so what if there was something like a 80% upper that was shortened from an extrusion. Making something like a MCX Rattler for the ACR. Overall length of just the receiver is 14.5" and is pictured with a 7.5" 300BLK pistol length barrel.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 1.07.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 1.08.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 1.08.53 AM.png

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum Lurker
    I’ll buy an 80% ACR receiver any day of the week!

It's a nice idea but unless your going to do a complete integrated upper your going to have to rely on cannibalizing many of the parts to make it work and I'm not sure if there's a market beyond maybe 20-30

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

10Industries, I believe the new generation OEM charging assembly with work with 4" pistol length gas systems. I have a 10.5" 300blk barrel kit from Dana that works perfectly in my current receiver. Are those the components you are referring to being chopped up in this configuration?
    Last edited by vr6exy98; 03-06-2020 at 12:22 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What I mean is that there's a ton of parts needed to finish an upper which are in short to no supply. You could re-engineer it to have an ar15 style barrel attachment, get rid of the steel rail system the carrier rides in etc but you will still need bolts, charging handles and gas sytems etc.

If it was a complete upper you could technically use all oem parts then. Wouldn’t have to be 80% to begin with. Dana has his own gas block, trunnion and lowers in production. Charging assembly would be easy to mock up. But again the major question is if there is a market for it right? Haha

Another design I have cooking is a PDW stock. Similar same to the ACR stock cuz everybody loves it. All aluminum like the Safety Harbor KES stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by vr6exy98 View Post

Another design I have cooking is a PDW stock. Similar same to the ACR stock cuz everybody loves it. All aluminum like the Safety Harbor KES stocks.
    I’ve always wondered (since I’m certain applications polymer is actually substantially heavier) if an aluminum ACR stock would be viable. I actually love both of the ACRs factory stocks. I know they would likely be significantly lighter, but I’m sure the location of the weight reduction would decrease balance. That and I’m sure they would be like ~$400 or more.

Forum Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by 10Industries View Post
    What I mean is that there's a ton of parts needed to finish an upper which are in short to no supply. You could re-engineer it to have an ar15 style barrel attachment, get rid of the steel rail system the carrier rides in etc but you will still need bolts, charging handles and gas sytems etc.
    What all do we actually need? Just the receiver, rails, I am pretty sure Fastenal carries all the fasteners you'd need, and the brass deflector?

Stocks are still being made, barrels and FCGs aren't ACR specific, bigdog is still making gas system components and trunnions, handguards are still in production.

I think the only ACR parts not in production right now are bolts and carriers, recoil spring assemblies, upper receivers, and charging assemblies.

If you reengineered the upper to remove it replace as many Bushmaster specific parts as possible there would probably be enough market to make a name for yourself. On the stocks, Dan haga is selling thousands of his acr stock adapter and acr pistol brace adapter so if you can design it to work with those you have alot of potential customers already.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search for related topics.