Where to From Here? Speculation on the ACR's Future.
Join Today
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Where to From Here? Speculation on the ACR's Future.

Forum Lurker

Where to From Here? Speculation on the ACR's Future.

Figured there'd be a thread on this here by now, but since this site is pretty low traffic and we don't have one I'll kick it off. Now that BM is closing down, what do you think the future holds for the ACR (or Masada) design?

It appears Remington won't be picking up production under their brand; despite the ACR being one of the few products that BM had to differentiate itself from other AR makers, Remington has stated they'll only be keeping the BA-50 in production. After the initial release 10 years ago do you think Magpul has an appetite to license production out to another manufacturer? KRG has the Massoud (Fox-42), but as more of a low-volume precision rifle manufacturer I am not sure they'd be interested in picking up a 5.56 carbine. I don't think Magpul's disinterest in producing it themselves would have changed, and I do know they will continue making stocks for it.

Do you think that a re-release would give it a new lease on life or that the rifle's reputation was damaged so much from the initial launch that it wouldn't be successful? I think a re-release would probably have a fixed barrel to cut weight compared to the QD design, but what other parts would be changed and what would be compatible with the original ACR?

In actuality I don't think BM did as bad a job with the release as they're credited for; aside from minor parts changes to make them more suitable for mass-scale production, all they really changed about the rifle was move the charging handle forward, use a 2 position gas plug instead of a 3 position one, and ditch the built in folding sights. I think Magpul made unrealistic promises about the weight and price, and because they weren't the ones to produce it, Bushmaster got left with all the blame for any faults. Was the M4 profile barrel stupid? Kinda. SHould they have had conversion kits available at the start? Sure, but how many of its contemporaries that promised caliber conversions actually delivered them..at all? Not the SCAR, not the ARX-100, not the Sig 556Xi, and not the CZ 805 nor the Bren 2 which still isn't even available here as a rifle.

People kept saying it didn't have the aftermarket of the AR which is 50 years older, but that's not a realistic expectation, and to its credit some parts did interchange and so had the same aftermarket as the AR. There are plenty of ARs that weigh around the 8lb mark, and ARs are unusually light to begin with; IMHO people made the weight issue out to be more than it was. I think it is a total shame that they kanked the rifle right when they were starting to give it the support it should have had from the get-go: conversion kits, keymod and M-lok handguards, stock options...

This rifle has so much potential as we've been shown by Templar precision and the handful of other companies that support it. It would be a damned shame if new rifles were never made available to keep that aftermarket going.
    horseman04, BigShow and mxracer72 like this.

I agree with literally everything in your post but one thing: the state of Magpul today. Magpul developed and released the Gen 1 pmag the same year as the Masada (2007). Since pmags feel ubiquitous, like IPhones, they feel like they’ve always been here. Between their massive foreign and domestic military magazines contracts, they are a much more substantial company. 2020 Magpul is a $50 million a year in revenue company that can absolutely afford to put together the ACR the way it should be. Even if they contract out the receivers, barrels, and bcg’s to Remington. I think Magpul has a golden opportunity to profit from the mismanagement of Bushmaster and steer the ACR-ship right.
    horseman04, FocusTripp and BigShow like this.

Forum Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDak14 View Post
    I agree with literally everything in your post but one thing: the state of Magpul today. Magpul developed and released the Gen 1 pmag the same year as the Masada (2007). Since pmags feel ubiquitous, like IPhones, they feel like they’ve always been here. Between their massive foreign and domestic military magazines contracts, they are a much more substantial company. 2020 Magpul is a $50 million a year in revenue company that can absolutely afford to put together the ACR the way it should be. Even if they contract out the receivers, barrels, and bcg’s to Remington. I think Magpul has a golden opportunity to profit from the mismanagement of Bushmaster and steer the ACR-ship right.
    +1

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

If not Magpul, then I hope some company picks it up that is known for making quality product. Somebody like Daniel Defense, LWRC or similar. Not saying it would necessarily be a good fit for either of those two, just hoping for some company of similar quality.

Quote Originally Posted by horseman04 View Post
    If not Magpul, then I hope some company picks it up that is known for making quality product. Somebody like Daniel Defense, LWRC or similar. Not saying it would necessarily be a good fit for either of those two, just hoping for some company of similar quality.
    That’s an idea. PWS has proven that a piston company is a good bet to do related projects (BRN-180). LWRC, POF, or even PWS again seem like good fits as far as experience and quality are concerned. For some reason I can’t picture LMT taking a shot, but they’d be great too.

LWRC would have been a great option about 10 years ago, but the more recent management has not kept nearly the level of trust and interaction with their customer base as before. I’d still likely be a fan of an LWRC/Magpul version, but I’d be shocked if the current team would be willing to take up the challenge. I’d be onboard with a full Magpul version for sure, but we’d have to accept at least a few years’ wait for development and their strict QC process.
    BigShow likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Peace Through Superior Firepower.

Dd and lwrc are garbage service now and quality is going down in some cases alot. Some of the people at pws own acrs and love them, one if them is building a 6.5 Grendel pistol I think but they aren't going to do it. Remington has to divest themselves of Bushmaster to get out from under pending litigation and there is provisions in the individual carbine competition that prohibit them from selling any of that rifle to the consumer market and there doesn't appear to be a sunset provision. Magpul doesn't want to make guns or it would, the flashlight smg being a great example. I think Remington will make more, maybe for Brownells and optics planet, well see. It's not going to die and I know some people that are looking into what it would take to relaunch it, problem is these fucking crybaby assholes who complain about everything all the time, that needs to end so they may wait until YouTube removes all gun content this year.

Forum Lurker
    I know that when the ACR was first released there was talk that the guys from Magpul weren't happy with the way it turned out; you guys really think they'd want t go through all the additional admin work that comes with being a firearms manufacturer instead of licensing the design and making all the plastics for it? I do think they'd be more likely to do it than the folding SMG, if for no other reason than the fact that more people are going to buy non NFA carbines and pistols.

They have shown with there knife and the Ronin that they can do limited high margin production - the smg would pay for itself in marketing since there is nothing else like it and they could produced all of it in house, except the barrel maybe. It's irrelevant what Magpul thought, they should have looked forward and realized that barrel swap nonsense added 1.5 pounds and a couple hundred bucks to the price and dropped the polymer lower idea so it could be serialized.

Maybe after she gets locked up all the clinton voters who want free college and acrs will dematerialize instead of pussy piling at the mere mention of it in any discussion.

I'm sure Macs next video will be a rant about how the acr polymer isn't self lubricating and it hurts when it goes in.
    Last edited by 10Industries; 02-10-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Forum Lurker
    Another thing; I am not sure how many of you are familiar with the FB Radom MSBS, but it essentially seems to be a modified ACR/Masada design that was likely derived from the ACRs Poland bought for their military. Supposedly they were planning to either import it to the US or set up production here, but last news I heard on that was like 5 years ago. They made some changes to the rear receiver pin, stock attachment, and did away with the op rod support and QD barrel assembly.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search for related topics.