New Handguard Mock-up
Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New Handguard Mock-up

New Handguard Mock-up

I've been doing CAD and designing for a while now and I am at the point to where I want to make some products so any input welcome. I am taking into consideration what cuts and tool paths I will be able to do with the choice of CNC machine I end up going with so this design reflects that. Also, this is not the final version.

Second point, if there are ideas others may have in regards to the platform I would love to draw some more items up because I and going in with my father-in-law to start up a machining shop. I've been an ACR owner since 2011 and I really hope I could keep this platform going in some way like Mr. Beck

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 1.01.18 AM.jpg
    horseman04 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The CAD looks cool. If the sky is the limit the parts I'm hoping shops will make are firing pins, bolts, gas blocks, trigger group housings.

More handguard options are great too. Not sure what the rest of the community wants. I have a few short handguard. I wish there were more long options that gave a way to mount a dbal/laser as low as possible. Much like kinetics scar handguards. They have a front section of rail lower than the main top rail.

No matter what you do, it's a big plus for the community to have any kind of additional options. Kudos.

Forum Lurker
    I think your design looks great.. Is there any way to make them more rounded along the bottom? Or even slimmer all together..

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

The only way he can make it slimmer is if he makes it for people who remove there lock ring handle or have a non qd trunion, I like the narrow over the gas block for dbal idea too.

Thanks for the feed back guys! I’ll be mocking up a longer version later tonight. I don’t own a DBAL or IR so I didn’t even take that into consideration. I also want to differ my design from RPM to have some variety of course 🙂

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

As someone with some experience with about everything Acr related. The best/tightest handguards need a non qd trunnion. You need alot of extra material removed for the Qd barrels. Like a bunch.

The good news for a machine shop is its amazing to be able to make whatever you want to as needed.

Now for some bad news. This stuff gets expensive quick. I find that I justify purchases that make normal budgets cringe as I've destroyed brand new endmills after 15 seconds of cutting. Everyone starts somewhere. My start was with a 750 dollar grizzly mill that was underpowered and inaccurate.

As a reference, the 556/762 lower project costed me about 6,000-7,000 dollars to do. That was a massive tool up and learning experience though. Doing it from scratch now would be like 3,000-4,000 since I know what I need and how to use the tools better.

If it were me, I'd talk to Ramy about making an extrusion that would work with his rail and yours too. I'm thinking of doing the same thing honestly.
    Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com

Thanks for the input Dana. I was going to look and custom extrusions but I don’t have a solid model to give proper measurements yet. I would like to contact Ramy and see if he would would with me. I’m looking to purchase a Haas TM-1P for some product development so I believe I might be starting off with a big task to start with handguards.

I am also designing an off-set mount to flush mount M-Lok to the 45 degree portion of the upper receiver. I saw that Dana added some M-Lok cuts to a receiver on the FB page. Who wouldn’t want more mounting real estate.

Damn. If you get a haas you will be better off than me. If you and ramy get an extrusion together, let me know. I’ll go in on some material too. We will have to do a minimum order of say 1000 pounds of aluminum which would do like 700-800 or so rails lol
    Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com

Here is a long version mock-up. Square profile if I used squared tubing from the start. Added M-lok slots lower and in front of the gas block. Carbine length is about 1" in front of the receiver and mid-length comes to about 3". Overall length is about 14" and 12.2ish ounces if made with 6061. I appreciate the feed back.

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 1.46.07 AM.png

I'd make it for people who remove there barrel handle so you can reduce the height and avoid the boxy look that affects the Midwest industries hand guard. Since it's a single screw to remove it I'm sure people would rather a slimmer handguard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

mockup forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.