MAC Put out a new video about the ACR - Page 4
Join Today
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: MAC Put out a new video about the ACR

Forum Lurker
    Ok, I saw the Facebook video with the 6.8 rifle; he's really playing up the Windham guns being better angle.

People make all kinds of absurd claims about the Masada vs the ACR. Really, how many times have you heard someone say "the Masada was going to be awesome, it should have gone to someone other than BM/Remington who wouldn't have screwed it up." Somehow people get this idea that the Masada was 2 lbs lighter and more balanced than the ACR, and that Magpul had devised a means to produce and sell the rifle for $1500. BM only changed three things when they put it into production: they moved the charging handle location forward, ditched the shitty folding sights, and changed the gas system to 2 positions instead of three.

It was easy for Magpul to write checks for their design that someone else-the company that bought the rights-would have to cash.

Quote Originally Posted by 10Industries View Post
    Magpul never made promises about pricing - there was to the best of my knowledge 1 post on arfcom from someone working there that said it might be around 1600
    I looked it up on the Masada technote:
    What is the projected cost of the Masada in small quantity sales?
    Projected retail price for a 16 inch carbine with magazines is $1400 (US)

Oof, “retail” and for “small quantity sales”?!? Either they didn’t know what they were talking about (they weren’t a firearms manufacturer) or the money they got to license the design inflated Bushmasters retail, probably both. All that said, who really paid $2600-3100??

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
    It was easy for Magpul to write checks for their design that someone else-the company that bought the rights-would have to cash.
    Agreed.
    I'm slowly adding to YouTube
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkbeltfed View Post
    ... All that said, who really paid $2600-3100??
    That was my original point though: When word was that the ACR was going to be a $1500 rifle (accurate or not) and BM released that the retail price would be $2500-$3000 at Shot Show, a lot of people swore it off right then. Had BM been willing to eat some of the up front cost to at least get it into the $1800 range (effectively placating the community for the most part while undercutting FN on the SCAR, as well as most of the Gucci ARs), they would have gotten a lot more of them out there. No, they wouldn’t have made as much per unit profit on them out of the gate, but they would have sold a ton more, and kept the interested community engaged. Then (in less than 7 years later please) start dropping the adaptive/upgrade kits and make the real money, particularly from the retained fanboy community.

Instead, they tried to compete head to head with the SCAR at its price point, and here is how that community reacted, right before stomping off, still muttering curses at BM under their breath (circa 2010):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Peace Through Superior Firepower.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

Forum Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan19 View Post
    That was my original point though: When word was that the ACR was going to be a $1500 rifle (accurate or not) and BM released that the retail price would be $2500-$3000 at Shot Show, a lot of people swore it off right then. Had BM been willing to eat some of the up front cost to at least get it into the $1800 range (effectively placating the community for the most part while undercutting FN on the SCAR, as well as most of the Gucci ARs), they would have gotten a lot more of them out there. No, they wouldn’t have made as much per unit profit on them out of the gate, but they would have sold a ton more, and kept the interested community engaged. Then (in less than 7 years later please) start dropping the adaptive/upgrade kits and make the real money, particularly from the retained fanboy community.

Instead, they tried to compete head to head with the SCAR at its price point, and here is how that community reacted, right before stomping off, still muttering curses at BM under their breath (circa 2010):
    Another thing about that thumbnail, the ACR has a 4150 nitrided barrel. I know 1:9 isn't the twist all the cool kids are shooting but I would speculate that most people with 5.56 rifles shoot 55-62 grain bullets most of the time and that's what they sight their rifles in for. 1:7 doesn't provide any additional benefit over 1:9 for those weights. Anyway, nitride is a better treatment than chrome, it is harder and more consistent; people complaining that it had a "non-chrome lined barrel" were either ignorant or looking for something to shit on the rifle for. Nowadays chrome lined barrels are what manufacturers sell as their low end line.

While I appreciate much of your posts about pricing, who cares at this point? If people aren’t buying them now or then, it’s because they don’t want to.

About nitride vs chrome, throat erosion due to flame temperature is where nitride looses. It may be better until it wears out, but it wears out faster.
    I'm slowly adding to YouTube

Nah, it doesn’t matter at this point. Just lamenting mishandling and missed opportunities on BM’s part.

Sometimes I wish they would just ban people who come here to complain, no one cares - hitting yourself on the head with a hammer would at least spare you the irony of owning one and saying it's not worth it. My first ACR went around 32/33,000 rounds before the barrel was replaced, all the other rifles I bought around that time would last 5,000 ish - BCM and DD barrels were if I can recall near 250 each installed - thats almost another whole ACR over 30,000 rounds worth of replacements barrels - they have caught up since then but so has the price. The barrels on the ACR have gotten even better since my first one, the price has gone down. Not seeing a whole lot to complain about. Even the nitrite process they use seems to have gotten better. My only gripe is not being able to change the pistol grip.
    Last edited by 10Industries; 11-19-2019 at 10:12 PM.
    Locutus494 likes this.

I can’t say I’ve seen a lot of complainers on here. Obviously, MAC has had some issues with his ACRs, which he disclosed on YouTube, but I don’t think he came here to dump on it. I can’t recall seeing a whole lot of other gripes on here either, and I’ve been around here for quite a while now. I’d say at least 90+% of us (myself included) have had really great experiences with our ACRs, despite the occasional hiccups and BM’s not yet bringing the ACR fully to its potential. But I do think we all would have preferred that BM had delivered this weapon to the masses so many more shooters could have enjoyed it by now as well.

Heck, if we started banning people, we’d have even fewer ACR discussions on here and it’d be just the gun deals and for sale ads.
    horseman04 and Hkbeltfed like this.

Forum Lurker
    Well put ThunderDan

His entire video was about how 1 new gun was total garbage and only buy old ones, complaints from start to finish. What's the acts true potential that Bushmaster didn't deliver? Templar precision can probably build anything you need realistically but more to the point can you name a another platform that has so many options from the manufacturer in this class? You can get pistols, rifles, dmrs, with 3 completely different furnitures and 3 different calibers, right now.

Desert tech had short and long 308 and 556 only, xcr has the same number of options with inferior build quality, iwi is on the second tavor and it's still not very good, scar 16 and 17 ok both more expensive, basically either short or long that's it? So where's all this undelivered potential? It could be lighter and more focused per caliber but that's a whole other upper to develop.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search for related topics.