Ak lower preorder thread - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Ak lower preorder thread

Message sent. I'd like to stick with the aluminum for my pre-order, please. Love to see pics of the two still. Thanks for all the work!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
    Any word on weights for these, or is that still TBD pending testing and production?

I honestly have enough AKs that I'm not in the market for a 7.62x39 conversion, but I may be in for an aluminum 5.56 lower that allows grips to be interchanged, and/or an AK lower for a 5.45x39.5 conversion.
    The rough weights are 4 ounces more than stock with the aluminum version and the plastic should be close to or right under the factory lowers. My personal test lower is 2 ounces less than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesavery22 View Post
    Message sent. I'd like to stick with the aluminum for my pre-order, please. Love to see pics of the two still. Thanks for all the work!
    Ok great man! I’ll be posting more as it comes in. The first new x39 prototype will be here late this week. It should be pretty close. I printed 3 magwells yesterday to get the positioning perfect where I wanted it.

I’ll post pics in the next couple days of the 556 print.
    Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here’s the 556 print. It came out really good. The exterior is pretty much the same as the final product in aluminum with the exception that the aluminum will have a removable trigger guard. The internals will be changed some. This one didn’t pass the testing because the plastic was too flexible. The carbon lower I have is way more rigid so that’s my baseline.

The good is that it fit the rifle perfectly so the shared dimensions between it and the x39 will be good to go
    Rest in Peace Franny

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

Definitely love to see pics of the x39 printed version when you have it! Thanks.

Those will be here this week!

I’m also looking into a commercial printer. If I get a blessing from the bank I might be able to do these in house which will speed up delivery times. While I’m evaluating the printer I’m going to talk to a couple shops about some quotes. The local dealer for the printer i want does a lot of business with a bunch of shops that might pick up the entire lower project.
    Rest in Peace Franny

Here is the only pic I released of the new lower so far. There will be testing this weekend as well as updates. This one isn’t perfect but it’s pretty close and it is very functional. I’m close enough that I machined the mag release to make it work in about 20 mins.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mikey2018 likes this.
    Rest in Peace Franny

If you guys follow my Instagram you probably have already seen these but I’ve started test firing the lower and it has ran great so far. I have some tweaks to do to fine tune it but it’s just mag alignment and I need to design the mag release lever some. Honestly I’m not an ak guy but this conversion makes me want to shoot way more x39 because it’s cheap and fun.

I’m evaluating a new printing material this week. If the bank gives me their graces the printed ones will be done in house with a new material. The aluminum ones will be coming once I can recoup the funds from my side project. I’ll need 10-20k cash to get them moving. The side job should pay for most if not all the aluminum lowers once it’s finished up.
    horseman04 likes this.
    Rest in Peace Franny

Forum Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog2003_99 View Post
    If you guys follow my Instagram you probably have already seen these but I’ve started test firing the lower and it has ran great so far. I have some tweaks to do to fine tune it but it’s just mag alignment and I need to design the mag release lever some. Honestly I’m not an ak guy but this conversion makes me want to shoot way more x39 because it’s cheap and fun.

I’m evaluating a new printing material this week. If the bank gives me their graces the printed ones will be done in house with a new material. The aluminum ones will be coming once I can recoup the funds from my side project. I’ll need 10-20k cash to get them moving. The side job should pay for most if not all the aluminum lowers once it’s finished up.
    Will this open us up to 5.45 conversions as well or will it only take the 7.62 AK mags?

I have to see how different the 5.45 mags are versus the 762 mags. I’m ordering a bunch of different mags this week and the first 1k of 762x39 ammo arrived yesterday.

I spent most of yesterday finding a good bolt face size to allow for Tula which apparently is like .0002-.0005 larger than the wolf casings. I tested them in the new ak test lower and it worked great so I think I have the program down.

Ideally I’d like to get as much into these lowers as possible including multiple calibers but there is a possibility of a single Lower for each caliber. I’d rather not have to do that route.
    Rest in Peace Franny

Hey, Bigdog. For the prototype 7.62x39 lower I did I used PVDF so I needed steel inserts for the mag contact points. I planned to make a different steel insert that I could replace the current 7.62x39 ones so I could use 5.45 mags. Same lower, swap inserts, use different mags. On the off chance you needed an idea I wanted to share my thought process.
    I never made that 5.45 insert because I never ended up wanting 5.45.

For me, ammo availability is the driver. Back in the day I built a 5.45 Saiga because the 5.45 surplus was still abundant. I understand 5.45 is still a popular'ish cartridge even though that surplus is dried up. This could make sense for someone that has hundreds of thousands of 5.45 surplus stocked up. For me, I sold my 5.45 rifle, Jim Fuller actually bought it!, as soon as 5.45 was more expensive than 7.62x39.

All that makes me have to ask. Thunderhorse, why do you want to convert a 5.56 rifle to 5.45?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast