Join Today

Question the BEST tactical leg holster????

what would be your best choice of a Tactical leg holster ? and why ?

Safariland. I absolutely HATE the Serpa! We were training some FAST Marines in Rota in 2008 and they had a mixed bag of Safariland, Serpa, Bladetech, and G-Code. Hands down the Safariland performed best. (By the way, I'd take training Marines over boogs anyday. Highly motivated, quick learners, and a good bunch of guys overall.) I tried the Serpa and absolutely HATE IT.

I like the fact the Safariland's holster is lined. I prefer the ALS locking system over the Serpa's flawed design. The Safariland is capable of being moved from waist to PC if you buy the quick release kit.

I wish they would make the light area as modular as the M92 Burrito holster in regards to the light. I've never messed with that holster, but like the concept of being able to adjust it for a pistol with light or no light.

the Safariland huh? that name has come across me before i remember reading they had the best in Kydex holsters. the Reason I'm asking is cause I'm going on a hog hunting trip and i would like to take my Glock 27 as a back up....those things will creep up on you!

I have to agree with DUC, the Safariland holster "system" is far superior to most others available. Safer to use, more secure and quicker (safer for user) presentation after practice.
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Under $100, check it:

Paddle Version:
    http://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Con.../dp/B005BNHSAQ

Leg Shroud:
    http://www.amazon.com/Small-Tactical...and+leg+shroud

Keep in mind when wearing a drop leg holster, wear it high enough that it won't move around on you when having to move quickly. I deally you should be able to cup your shooting hand under the "muzzle" of your gun/holster. Luckily this one already includes just one lower leg strap instead of two, so you don't have to mod it.

Forum Lurker
    Unless you're dead set on a leg drop for a certain reason I'd stay with a hip holster.

The leg drops present multiple cons, here's just a few: 1- they will move. I've used several different types and they all move and bounce to some extent. 2- trying to draw while walking (forget about running) is a pain in the royal backside. 3- weapon retention is not as easy should you get into a tussle.

The reason leg drops were mainly used was due to armor/ carrier riding so low a normal hip holster couldn't be used, or at least not effectively.

So unless you are wearing a plate carrier, and even then not all carriers ride low enough to cause issue. I would stick with a hip holster.

If you are using a chest rig or carrier that prevents you from using a regular holster you may consider mounting the holster via mole directly to your rig.
    This method present multiple pro's a few being: 1- the location makes weapon retention very easy and manageable in almost any situation. 2- in tight areas such as a vehicle, weapon access is quick and easy. 3- weapon can be easy drawn while on the move.

just my two cents.

Agreed. I've moved away from the drop legs awhile ago as it makes me feel more mobile. For some reason that strap (even worn high) and anchor feels like it encumbers movement. That's why drop leg sub-loads crack me up. Man they look cool, but try moving fast in them, or in and out of a vehicle with them.

I can maybe understand if you're carrying a MK23, or other ginormous gun, but if it's a standard size, (and especially a compact/sub-compact) stick to your hip. I've been using a Safariland ALS with a mid ride drop that attaches to my belt, and the grip rides right at waist level. It's awesome and really fast.

+2 on the Safariland. Very versatile and has the best retention I'm aware of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Peace Through Superior Firepower.

Forum Lurker
    I had a few thigh rigs that I thought worked great, till I began moving in 3 gun... they lasted the rest of that day then I tossed them all. I liked them for getting the mags/pistol off my waist so I could bend at the waist for a number of reasons, picking things up, reseting target, couched firing positions. But the sway when I tried to run was insane. I still use my SERPA on it's thigh drop down but I have it as high as it goes and I'm about to mod it to make it go even higher. I got a chance to see the rig Costa is using these days and is currently testing for production, it's a high thigh rig, designed to get MOLLE right around you standard pants pocket area. SOE came out with several of these in a slightly larger size just a few weeks ago. I love it so far as it gets the ammo off my belt and is high and tight enough to not sway. Going for the same thing on my holster.