Dirt guard for the lower portion of your ACR's ejection port.
Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Dirt guard for the lower portion of your ACR's ejection port.

Forum Lurker

Dirt guard for the lower portion of your ACR's ejection port.

Hello ACR people. While waiting for my new barrel and gas piston system from Marvin Pitts, I was toying with the idea of having an Engineering freind design a small copper shim to remove the large gap between the bolt carrier and bottom of the ejection port portion of the receiver. Here's 3 pics of what the temporary proto looks like. The finished product will be together soon (copper is soft, can be anodized and you can see how this will work).

ACR copper rim 2.jpgACR copper rim.jpgACR copper rim1.jpg
    Last edited by cobra2022; 08-18-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Bad idea - that gap is engineered for drainage of water, mud or sand. It's way easier to tap out a mag than field strip a fouled action.
    NorCalOps likes this.

Forum Lurker
    Thank you for your input but there's more than adequate room for water to pass through, this is far from water tight. From an engineering perspective (my college friends), this will greatly reduce the potential for large particulate infiltration and that's what it's being designed for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

The Remington ones have an even larger gap than the civilian ones, I've not had issues with it but if you want to make the part go for it! The more parts out the better
    Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10s right it was engineered that way on purpose. The carrier also has a gap between the bearing surfaces and then if you look inside the carrier rails have gaps cut to clean that. The AK is touted as malfunction proof because of this same feature. Tight guns malfunction loose gun run forever. The ACRs gaps allow it to keep the accuracy of tight of a tight gun and the ruggedness of a loose gun without actually being all that loose. It's one of the features of the ACR that's worked exactly as advertised. I've run this platform hard in some of the worst environments and it's never had a hiccup.
    bigdog2003_99 likes this.

Like and subscribe to my shooter pages

List of interest in ACR parts

Forum Lurker
    You Gentlemen are clearly shooters like myself and I love and appreciate that. We figured the manufacturers did this by design and totally understand it but that doesn't mean I like it. I've had ARs forever and know tight tolerances, hence the dust cover for the AR platform. Our idea somewhat mimics having a closed dust cover. Ie.. when the bolt is closed and crawling through the muck and dirt with a mag in the well, when you get ready to fire, there will be less crap in the receiver. We will test this well when we're done with the final design and give you men the skinny. I really appreciate all of your great input!

Forum Lurker
    Good to know, was wondering if the Rem had the gap as well. Thank you!

It's worse than the Bm one. I cut my bolt to mimic it and lost almost 2 oz's

Rest in Peace Franny
    Employee BBC Armament 07/02
    Email me for questions or Acr barrel conversions (remove spaces)
    templarprecision @ yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by cobra2022 View Post
    You Gentlemen are clearly shooters like myself and I love and appreciate that. We figured the manufacturers did this by design and totally understand it but that doesn't mean I like it. I've had ARs forever and know tight tolerances, hence the dust cover for the AR platform. Our idea somewhat mimics having a closed dust cover. Ie.. when the bolt is closed and crawling through the muck and dirt with a mag in the well, when you get ready to fire, there will be less crap in the receiver. We will test this well when we're done with the final design and give you men the skinny. I really appreciate all of your great input!
    This is the most bullshit and condescending answer I have ever read on this forum.

You obviously know little about the acr or any rifle despite having an ar15 since before time began, nor are you willing to admit that the ACR was designed by actual engineers not causal observation, nor are you willing to admit that you neither posses those qualifications nor are willing to educate yourself by continuing to push your debunked point despite that "great input".

Two major things separate the ACR from an AR15 - it's gas piston system and it's melonite coatings - dust covers are to prevent fouling a lubed action - the ACR does not need lube to run, nor does the action foul at nearly the same rate. What it needs is to function in all environments using designs built on 50 years of AR15 use and knowledge. The gap is by design to use gravity to evacuate water and other contaminants as quickly as possible, not seal them in.

Fun fact - actual "operators" both current and former provided competent, informed input under actual battlefield and mock battlefield conditions in several areas of operation...

Here's a brain teaser - why is the stature of liberty green?

"corrosion products of copper turn green due to the formation of copper sulfate, carbonate and chloride salts in varying concentrations" - yes this sounds like the perfect lubricating surface for the machined face of the bolt to ride on.....(sarcasm)

Oh and what happens when you mix copper oxide, aluminum (the reciever) and heat (the action)

This is a weapons forum, and while people can do cutesy shit and paint there ACR pink if they want, building a fail machine, soon to be bomb is a one way trip AFAIC
    Ajaczk likes this.

I take it 10s not buying one ....
    NorCalOps and HWMar2171 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads