Aluminum AK Lower
Join Today
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Aluminum AK Lower

Aluminum AK Lower

Decided to try and build my own AK lower that will use AR trigger/safety/and grip. Doing this completely free hand using the PTS lower as a reference and a stripped colt AR lower. Props to real machinists out there, this is time consuming and tedious. I have the trigger area complete, going to work on the back end next where it connects to the stock. I will post pics each day, I plan on going till its done since it's snowing and I have little else to do. Not sure how long it will take but it doesn't matter, it's for fun.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Psalm 127: Unless the Lord builds the house its builders labor in vain.

make me one
    No_mic_marshall likes this.
    ''He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.'' - Luke 22:36.

''The only way to truly hurt a man is to take away everything that he valued and degrade it and remind him of it every day of his life. BUT by doing this you also create a monster and you will regret ever harming that man because he will be your greatest horror.''

Based on my experience with the APWR lower, the principle challenge will be fitment with the upper, specifically at the takedown captive pins, and more specifically at the receiving holes for these pins. I.e., the pins are captive in the lower receiver on the right side, drift through the tunnel in the upper or stock, and then insert into receiving holes on the left side of the lower. In the stock items, the pin tips wedge snuggly into these receiving holes. Joester's handguard, which is CNC milled, also achieves a tight fight. The APWR lower, though, is drilled just a little loose on the receiving holes. It's just enough to allow some play between the upper and lower. Play between the parts means uncontrolled vibration during firing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

Day 4, worked on the trigger area, grip and front pin location. It's coming together nicely and is more enjoyable as it starts to really take shape. I need to get my hands on a magpul AK mag before I start the mag well. Decided since it was their design to begin with that I will make my lower fit their mag and if any others happen to fit great, but I'm not going to try and make it universal.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Looks good. By the way, it being a little loose isn't going to be that big of a deal as long as the magazine is not allowed to move so far that it creates feeding issues.

Day 5, worked on the back end where the stock goes in and the "tang" behind the grip.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Day 6, worked on stepping up the sides where it goes from AR to ACR. I machined the inside of the lower too large in a couple areas not thinking far enough ahead how that would affect my exterior walls. I made a small hole in the back that I will have to weld shut and re machine. For a first time if that's my only hiccup I will be pleased. I also ordered an AK Pmag and will have to wait for it to arrive before going much farther.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Day 7, worked on the sides a little more and pretty much done with the back. Threaded the hole for the grip bolt and started working on the magwell. Just made some basic cuts to get the shape while I'm waiting on the Pmag. Overall it's going well.

image.jpg

Awesome progress. Keep us posted. I'll be anxious to see how it does when you get to the point of test firing it.

Day 8, progress is slowing up a little as I work on the important details and finishing areas. I'm nervous about most of what I'm doing as I get farther along because it will be a lot of work lost if I mess up. I worked on the magwell most of the day, flared the edges out and worked on the front and back of the magwell. Still waiting on Pmag. Seems aim surplus is bogged down with a lot of orders.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads