ACR Forum banner

200 yards 50 yard zero

11K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  oif0709 
#1 ·
I tried out a public range today which I wasn't crazy about. I shot a box through my delta elite then set up at the 200 yard range. I've got winchester white box from when it was still $5.50 a box. Once reloaded or something. Not good stuff but never an issue.

The top target I tried my magpul flip up sights. Im not sure I actually hit it or not. The bottom was my Eotech. Hard to see. It was windy and dusty. Somehow I shot all around the red dot..I love the Eotech. I can shoot fast and at multiple targets with it. Being the reticle is made up of dots its hard for Precision work. . Was still fun though. Never shot over 100 yards at a civilian range

Note the targets are hung upside down. Left target on top.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So you shot a box through your Dolt?

I like EOTechs as it gives you references for close up holds, and though the dot is 1moa, the 65moa outer ring draws my eye to the center one quickly. I do NOT like the two dot EOTechs however, and I hate that it powers off after 8 hrs of not touching any buttons.

#6 ·
I found this nice little 25 yd target for zeroing to 50/200 yds. http://home.comcast.net/~j_colt123/25%20Yard%20Zero.pdf
I use the 50/200 because I like how close to zero the hits stay out just past 200 yds. I don't know that I'll be shooting much farther than that anyway.

#7 ·
I think the 50/200 is pretty good. I havnt tried a 25/250. The local range is only 50/100/200 and I was shooting paper on all 3. Not going for tight groups just hit what I aim at. If I could find my bullet flight tables id be able to know more.

#8 ·
oif0709 nice shooting :cool:

Hell with no magnification you did very well. Back in the day I used to hit moving targets on the 300M range with irons all day long, 20 some odd years latter meh... lets just say the eyes aint what they used to be. Nice job!

#10 ·
If the rifle/shooter is accurate the 25/250 is tits. Can you run the acr with the gas off? Hand cycling it for greater accuracy?

i have a Robinson xcr and its a 1.5 Moa gun on gas setting two with the right ammo....but turn the gas off and hand cycle and you can get under an inch no sweat. There's also a bit of drop in impact with the gas off.

just a thought for playing around at longer ranges (I know the ACR isn't a precision gun but I think sometimes with the right tricks and a good bullet these piston guns can surprise us).

#11 ·
It hadn't occurred to me to try that. I never shot it with the gas off and probably put only 60 rounds of anything but Winchester white box factory reloads, m193, and m855 off it so I'm not sure I'd get a good feel for it increasing accuracy. I don't have the ACR anymore to try it.

#14 ·
Yea I bet removing the regulator would do it. The change in accuracy will likely be proportional to the distance between your gas block and muzzle. Like if you have an 11.5 inch barrel with a mid length gas system, the bullet has likely already left the barrel before the piston starts to move.

#15 ·
I have the 25/250 zero right now and I found that I'm only shooting about 6ish" high at 100. This type of rifle is meant to hit man size targets. At 25yds (Close quarters) you will be on point and can hit exactly where you need when you need it. At 100yds you wont have pin point accuracy, but you will be hitting your target. A hit is your desired outcome because in most cases that will prevent what you are shooting at from shooting back. Having the 250 zero makes it so you can be a little more sure of where you are shooting when your eyes can't see as well. I feel this is the optimal zero configuration. Anything beyond that range will be so damn hard to see that you might as well have a magnified optic. This is just my opinion and anyone is free to argue their point, but I prefer to have a well rounded setup.

#16 ·
Honestly I don't much give the moving mass much cred for reduced accuracy... as stated the supersonic bullet is long gone from the barrel before the bolt carrier is moving.

Brilliant- so now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory....

#18 ·
I can tell you for sure that _something_ effects it. BCG, decreased barrel whip....something. My xcr w/ 16" hbar dramatically tightens up with the gas off. Impact also drops about 2.5 inches at 100 yards. i mean Like to shooting dime size groups from 1.5-2 Moa with the gas on....and i duplicated the results several times....so something is more stable/consistent. Gas off on that gun is the switch between combat accuracy and surgical precision.

#20 ·
50 yard zero is the way to go. You should end up within 2-2.5" of POA out to 250. And frankly, most ammo these days isn't going to shoot groups that small anyway.

Learn your drops past that.

#21 ·
visual aid, it's in yards, but you get the idea -

Slope Rectangle Plot Line Font

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.