Gas block loose...
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gas block loose...

Forum Lurker

Gas block loose...

I took my ACR out for a range session the other day and last night I decided to break her down for a cleaning and when I was putting the gas piston back through the block I felt something moving in my fingers. I got the gas system back together and when I put the cylinder on the front I felt wiggling again. I then lightly grabbed around the gas block with my thumb & index finger and with a little side to side motion I was able to move the whole assembly. It doesn't move much, but IMO it shouldn't move at all and I can see that the gas seal against the port in the barrel is weak as there is a bit of carbon all around the block. Does anyone know that if Bushmaster considers this "acceptable" since the action still cycles reliably and if anyone else is experiencing this as well? I'm not too crazy about sending back my rifle for warranty work with less than 750rds fired if they are just going to send it back to me a month or so later with a note that says "no defect noted/acceptable tolerance" or some B.S. like that (the charging handle is also peening the end of the raceway, but I can live with that for now...until it snaps my CH off).
    100% disabled veteran

Hmm. I don't think it's suppose to be that lose, but the carbon coming out happens a little on mine. But it sounds like it's excessive on yours.

As far as the charging handle, that's completely normal and you shouldn't worry. It won't snap the charging handle. The receiver is softer than the steel of the charging handle. It will not cause any problems.

Yea mine leaks a bit of carbon around the block too. It spews it onto the inside of the handguard too. Im not thrilled about that, but I guess the alternative is all that crap staying in the block or barrel. Still, I'm looking to use Marvin's block exclusively soon, so I'm thinking that his might leak less. As far as the wiggle, that sounds like a genuine problem that should be addressed. I kinda doubt that bushmaster could argue otherwise.
    So this is how liberty dies... With thunderous applause.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

The gasses vent on the front side of the acr block. You can't stop it. The gas vents to the rear side of Marvins, it's messy especially with a can. But it's not a problem.

Forum Lurker
    Thanks for the replies and I at least feel better about the charging handle. My gas block is loose enough that if I take the drift pins out the block will spin around if I shake the barrel. The carbon is coming out of every place, not just the front. I'll give BM a call and if it does have to get sent back I'll ask if I can just ship back the barrel assembly and not the whole firearm. I wonder how much, if any, this affect/will affect accuracy.
    100% disabled veteran

When I took the pins out of mine the block easily slid off, I didn't try to spin it though.

all gas blocks will leak gas/carbon to some extent, especially when new. I've got some marking on ever barrel I own.

But the block should not move at all when pinned. I'd contact BM, unfortunately.

we can't tell how loose it is through the internet, so your other option is to shoot it a bit more and see if it settles. Worse case, you contact BM then and get it fixed.

As an aside, carbon, soot, gas, what have you, has to go somewhere. it's normal. guns get dirty.
    Graphic design and branding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current stuff:

Some of my clients include, or have included, AAC, Remington Defense, Daniel Defense, TrackingPoint, Barnes, Military Times, Ambush Firearms, Noveske, Blue Force Gear, Unity, Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, Leupold, Sig, the NRA-ILA, etc.

Forum Lurker
    All ACR's I have seen have had loose gas ports (2012 and later production). I think it is an intentional feature, not a fault. I can see gas port that is loose sideways impoving accuracy and reliability on a piston operated rifle. Mine has been like that and it is just fine, few thousand shots through it is just like it was when new. No probs with reliability or accuracy.

Forum Lurker
    Jippo, that's interesting to hear about the later production rifles (mine is a post-recall rifle) but I'm surprised that I haven't heard anyone else mention anything about it. This afternoon I removed the piston to remove tension on the gas block and was able to easily wiggle the block with 1 finger. I'll give Bushmaster a call and ask their customer service/tech support if it's normal or something that needs to be looked at.
    100% disabled veteran

Official Site Vendor Argonauts ReInc's Avatar
    Your gas block sounds too loose, you might need better gas block pins. I haven't bought a recent production rifle but I have gotten recent gas blocks. I don't remember the length right now but they are called 'double ought' or 2x0 taper pins. They should be medium to mild steel (not hardened). You should be able to get them at a hardware store like Fastenal or Grainger just make sure you bring the gas block to get a length that leaves some (around 1/8") extra sticking out of both sides of the gas block.
    Mike Morgan

Beware of the man that owns just one Rifle, he will know how to customize it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads