Gauging serious interest in a CNC Alloy lower. - Page 102
Join Today
Page 102 of 103 FirstFirst ... 25292979899100101102103 LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1026
Like Tree367Likes

Thread: Gauging serious interest in a CNC Alloy lower.

Forum Lurker
    that lower looks like plastic I say that cause the inside pic towards the front has what looks like cast markings made from plastic .
    2017 COYOTE ACR BASIC
    WAITING ON ACCESSORIES.....

A later version may have a bolt hold open. It adds complexity and cost. It will be considered once everything is validated.

The lower shown was made on SLA machine using glass reinforced polymer.

The current consideration is to have investment casting molds also rapid protyped. What governs that decision is cost and tool life.

However they would be used to produced cast aluminum lowers which will have select secondary machining processes.

Took the V2 Lower out on Easter. All but one concern which was not directly addressed in V2 resulted in improvements. I will work on those outliers later this week, and try to have the file out before mid week and try and get V3 on the build deck of the shop for next week.

The Tapco mag is still a little on the tight side, however is dimensionally much larger than the steel and Pmag. As the rest of the lower is validated there will be more input sought on mag choices. As it stands I am leaning towards optimizing more towards PMags.

Still alot of extraction and feeding issues. Put approximately 220 rounds through the gun. Experienced 6 double feeds, and approximately 6-8 failure to extracts through the day. At about 90 rounds, and watching the BCG I put the regulator in "S" suppressed which addressed about 80% of the issues from that point onward. Might have the have the gas port on this barrel adjusted.

The rifle got alot of attention at the range. Most of people have never seen an ACR before. However the modern looking gun AK mags and the odd color combinations really brought people over.

The winchester white box fed fine after the regulator adjustment, however still add some issues on occasion with the tula steel case.

I generally don't do a full tear down or clean the rifle to much, however with all these extraction issues I wanted to look at the extractor spring.

Well as you can see, not surprised at all that I has having erratic extraction issues. Not only is the extractor pin broke, it looks like the previous owner of the kit used liquid steel to shim the Argo bolt with a copper plate. I am going to order a new pin, and a few other spare parts to get the 7.62x39 setup up and running again, and try and get the V2 lower out again this week.

Once the kit is back up and running, I am going to put another 100-120 rounds through each mag style to solidify initial performance considerations. The lowers material consideration favors polymer mags, however ideally it should have no issue with steel mags in a pinch. That being said it looks like the manufacturing tolerances on my steel mags varies much more than and US made magazine and the steel mages still had some feeding issues.
    Last edited by 68fbjjz109; 04-17-2017 at 12:37 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ACRForum.com
    Advertisements

Actually, the copper shim was done by Argo, they all have them. If you recall his posts when he first offered them for sale he said something about lowering the price due to a manufacturing issue. My shim broke loose twice when I had my Grendel kit, I finally got some JB weld to hold. It initially protruded from the bolt face and chewed up my brass, probably why it broke loose so quickly.
    68fbjjz109 likes this.

I didn't know that. I never really followed it that closely. I had a AA 6.5 gun at the time and no real interest in 7.62 x39. I might have to look for a more permanent solution, like a weld bead that is machined down. I don't have my 6.5 anymore, so I may do a 6.5 ACR build. Should have kept my old one it was built on a Mega Monolithic upper...

Forum Lurker
    Wow that looks fantastic!

Forum Lurker
    Awesome 68. Happy to see you're making progress. Wish I could bring stuff over to help test...

Forum Lurker
    Great looking project! I'm interested.

Forum Lurker
    Are you still planning on working on the 556 lower as well after the 762?

Forum Lurker
    Way late to the ACR game but this was always a huge interest of mine. If the AK lower comes to a production point I'd love to have one

Remove Ads