Join Today
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just shipped my ACR barrel off to ADCO for the works!

Quote Originally Posted by DSM View Post
    My understanding the measurements is taken from the bolt face to muzzle. But I'm not a lawyer and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either.
    You are right, it is measured from the bolt face with the action closed, so the last almost inch of the extension is not counted as "barrel".

The best way to measure is to close the action, drop a dowel down the bore from the front, mark it and measure that.
    Graphic design and branding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current stuff:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some of my clients include, or have included, AAC, Remington Defense, Daniel Defense, TrackingPoint, Barnes, Military Times, Ambush Firearms, Noveske, Blue Force Gear, Unity, Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, Leupold, Sig, the NRA-ILA, etc.

Uxi
    gnarly, I was thinking like Tommy.
    ---
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom depart from us in peace. We seek not your counsels nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" -- Samuel Adams

Coyote Brown Basic Folder (pinned, thanks to the absurd laws in California)

I am excited to have a 10.5 in barrel made to work with my ACR! Can't wait to see how your work comes out.

the stock barrel assembly sans muzzle device is 2.74 pounds and the fsc556 weighs 2.5 ounces for the guy that asked.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    You are right, it is measured from the bolt face with the action closed, so the last almost inch of the extension is not counted as "barrel".

The best way to measure is to close the action, drop a dowel down the bore from the front, mark it and measure that.
    Fine than I'll have them tack the pin in place. I'll contact Dave and ask him about it.

Edit to add... I just e mailed Dave @ ADCO to get clarification on the matter. I also asked him if your suspicions are correct can he attach the extension as well. Stand by.
    Last edited by Undertaker; 03-19-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Update info
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it". Thomas Jefferson

DSM
    If you asked for it to be legal length after pinning they'll take care of you. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan. We get there. All hell breaks loose.

Yea DSM, next thing you know you'll read about some guy getting the chrome bracelets for having an illegal SBR . But seriously I did ask Dave to tac the extension in place if it's an issue.

Edit.... Just got the answer from dave.

"BATF rules measure a barrel from a closed bolt face. If you were to remove the extension, then you no longer have a barrel that works. So there is NO need to "perm" the extension.

You requested an OAL (Over All Length) of 16", so your barrel will be quite legal, but will be just a tad less than a 1/4 longer than 16" when measured from the end of the extension.

However, if you want your barrel 16" from the back of the extension, then you would be required to register it as an NFA Short Barreled Rifle to be legal. Because, the actual BATF length would be just under 16", which is not legal on an unregistered rifle".

Dave.
    Adcofirearms.com

Looks like you guys are right about where the actual measurement takes place ("from a closed bolt"). Give me your interpretation of what he said about the "over all length". Just checking my reading comprehension .
    Last edited by Undertaker; 03-19-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Add info from ADCO
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it". Thomas Jefferson

Wise Member
    They pinned my muzzle device for me automatically, when they did my barrel work. Don't think they charge for that as it protects them too. Ironically, I'm now wishing that I hadn't cut the barrel. I'm getting ready to cut my flash hider off to gain access to the barrel and gas system parts for my new FN 5.56 barrel conversion.

this is a barrel extension itself - you can see the retaining pin hole and the threaded inset which screws over the barrel itself. basically you measure from the barrel face to the other end of the barrel - this is typically 16.25 inches, if the brake is welded on either by pin or silver solder its included otherwise it's not

my google fu sucks but this is a pistol barrel so you can see the face of the barrel is where the steel starts

So according to all above information and Daves explanation, Where the threads end on the barrel is where the measurement is taken from. So like dave said the overall measurement will be just a tad under 16 1/4" end to end. So it will be slightly longer than I originally anticipated or wanted but for under an extra 1/4" it's not worth going through all of the SBR BS.

Thanks for helping me sort this out, always good to to learn especially when 1/4" could end up being a lot larger in reality .